- Students will use phonetic and structural analysis and knowledge of words to expand their vocabulary.
Write the letters and point values on the board before the students arrive.
Give the students a couple of minutes to create the highest scoring word out of the letters of the day. Remind them that if they use all 7 letters, they score a Scrabble “bingo” and get a 50 point bonus.
Ask the students to volunteer the words they have created and list those words on the board with their point values. Make sure to point out homophones, homonyms, prefixes, suffixes, word roots and words with more than one definition.
Today’s highest scoring word is GARMENT with a point value of 60 points. If no one in the class identifies the word, then take a few minutes. To introduce the word by discussing its (1) spelling (2) pronunciation, (3) definition, (4) part of speech and (5) use in a sentence.
· GARMENT an article of clothing
- Here are some other words that can be derived from today’s set of letters.
· MAGNET a piece of some material that is able to attract iron; anything that attracts something
· MANGER an open box in which food for animals is placed
· MANGE a skin disease of animals and humans that causes itching and loss of hair
· GARNET a red mineral used as a gem; a deep red color
Ask students to reflect on the strategies they used to create their highest scoring word.
Ask students to add these new words to their vocabulary notebook.