- Students will use phonetic and structural analysis and knowledge of words to expand their vocabulary.
Write the letters and point values on the board before the students arrive.
Give the students a couple of minutes to create the highest scoring word out of the letters of the day. Remind them that if they use all 7 letters, they score a Scrabble “bingo” and get a 50 point bonus.
Ask the students to volunteer the words they have created and list those words on the board with their point values. Make sure to point out homophones, homonyms, prefixes, suffixes, word roots and words with more than one definition.
Today’s highest scoring word is ATTRACT with a point value of 59 points. If no one in the class identifies the word, then take a few minutes. To introduce the word by discussing its (1) spelling (2) pronunciation, (3) definition, (4) part of speech and (5) use in a sentence.
· ATTRACT to pull to or toward oneself; to draw by appealing to interest
- Here are some other words that can be derived from today’s set of letters.
· CARAT a unit of weight for precious gems equal to 200 milligrams
· TRACT an indefinite stretch of land
· TACT the ability to dealing with others without offending them
· TART pleasantly sharp or sour to the taste
Ask students to reflect on the strategies they used to create their highest scoring word.
Ask students to add these new words to their vocabulary notebook.