- Students will use phonetic and structural analysis and knowledge of words to expand their vocabulary.
Write the letters and point values on the board before the students arrive.
Give the students a couple of minutes to create the highest scoring word out of the letters of the day. Remind them that if they use all 7 letters, they score a Scrabble “bingo” and get a 50 point bonus.
Ask the students to volunteer the words they have created and list those words on the board with their point values. Make sure to point out homophones, homonyms, prefixes, suffixes, word roots and words with more than one definition.
Today’s highest scoring words are DISCERN AND RESCIND with a point value of 60 points. If no one in the class identifies either word, then take a few minutes to introduce the words by discussing their (1) spelling (2) pronunciation, (3) definition, (4) part of speech and (5) use in a sentence.
· DISCERN to recognize or understand
· RESCIND to cancel
- Here are some other words that can be derived from today’s set of letters. The definitions come from the Scrabble dictionary.
· REND to remove by force; to split or tear apart; to tear as a sign of anger
· RIND tough outer layer
· CINDER a piece of partly burned coal or wood
· RESIN a substance from the gum or sap of a tree that is used in medicine and plastic
Ask students to reflect on the strategies they used to create their highest scoring word.
Ask students to add these new words to their vocabulary notebook.